Hazmat Modine from United States
Hard edged blues and jazz fusion.
- Their song “Bahamut” will be used on the Fox television show “So You Think You Can Dance?”
- Their CD “CICADA” reached number one on the World Music Charts summer 2011 in Europe and was voted number 2 for all of 2011 out of over 800 nominees and 150 finalists.
- CICADA also received the Charles Cros Grand Prize in France for Best Blues Record in 2011.
- HAZMAT MODINE has a song in the Oscar nominated movie PINA by Wim Wenders.
- Wade Schuman & Hazmat Modine did the sound track for the documentary Windfall now playing in the U.S.
“Hazmat Modine plays the kind of Blues one might have found in a speakeasy in New Orleans had the city been inhabited by gypsies who performed with Otis Redding and the city had been built on the Black Sea. The band is driven by a pair of dueling harmonicas, backed by tuba, drums, guitars, and a horn section. Occasional guests play such exotic instruments as the Chinese mouth organ, Romanian cimbalom, the bass sax, and the Claviola. Front man Wade Schuman, has the appropriately throaty voice of someone who has both hopped freight trains and collaborated with the Throat Singers of Tuva. For the past five years, the band has been touring extensively throughout Europe from Siberia to Spain and where they have proved immensely popular. They recently completed their long-awaited follow-up to their first CD Bahamut. The CD titled CICADA includes collaborations with the Kronos Quartet the Gangbe Brass band from Benin, and Natalie Merchant.”
HAZMAT MODINE is a New York based band that has been touring internationally for the past six years at in over 30 countries world wideat venues such as the Berlin Jazz Festival, Pori and Tempari Festivals in Finland, Stockholm Jazz festival, Copenhagen Jazz Festival, Sinnes Festival in Portugal, Womex in Spain, the Wings Festival in Moscow, the Sayan Ring Festival in Siberia, The Vienna Jazz Festival, Killkenny Arts Festival in Ireland, Genting Highlands Festival in Malaysia, Trowbridge Festival in the UK, Chicago World Music Festival and the Montreal Jazz Festival.